G.H. Dunn Insurance Agency and the Arbella Insurance Foundation together donate $1,000 to the Friends of Mattapoisett Bicycle and Recreational Path
This past spring, students at the Old Rochester Regional Senior and Junior High Schools learned all about bike safety in a safe, fun and educational way.
Topics covered during the 2 day Physical Education program were:
- Mechanics of bikes and bike safety: Why to check your bike and how to wear a helmet.
- Bikes and the Law: Helmets required for ages 16 and under. Bikes are vehicles and must follow the rules of the road.
- Fundamentals: Ride in your comfort zone; know your bike; stay aware.
- Best practices for on road riding: starting, stopping, signaling, and yielding to pedestrians.
Bike class in action.
The program represents a collaboration of many organizations and individuals in the community including:
- Friends of the Mattapoisett Bicycle and Recreation Path
- ORR Senior and Junior High PE teachers and ORR Assistant Superintendent Elise Frangos
- Officer Matt McGraw of the Mattapoisett Police Department
- The UMass Dartmouth Sustainability Initiative
- Safe Routes to Schools
- MassBike (Bicycle Coalition of Massachusetts)
- Bikes Not Bombs
Back row: Elise Frangos, Bonnie DeSousa, David Dunn & Diana Dunn Front row: 2 ORR High School students
G.H. Dunn’s donation was used towards the purchase of bike helmets. Arbella’s donation helped fund the Bike Safety Program. This was a new program introduced this year which will become part of the schools’ PE Curriculum in the future. It is important for children to learn about bike safety and the rules of the road before venturing out on public streets. This program is teaching them just that and we are honored to be part of it.
This material is for information purposes only. All statements herein are subject to the provisions, exclusions and conditions of the applicable policy. For an actual description of coverage, terms and conditions, please refer to the application insurance policy or check with your insurance professional.